Friday, April 05, 2013

pieced

pieced by lovelydesign
I've been sewing and quilting up a storm around here lately (so satisfying!). Yesterday I finished machine piecing this child's sized quilt for my little man Reid. It is now ready to be quilted by hand, which should take a year or two to finish. But my goal is to have it done sooner this time around. Fingers crossed!

I wanted Reid and Addie to both always have matching hand made quilts made my their mama, so here I repeated the simple design of the first quilt I made for Addie which I finished many moons ago now. Addie's is made in tomato red and turquoise and she sleeps tucked in under it every night.

I chose greys and yellows for Reid's colourway because Reid was born at the time of year in Vancouver when we are coming out what seems like endless of grey damp and rain. On the afternoon when Reid was born, however, I clearly remember the most brilliant sunshine broke through the clouds and spring seemed to arrive at his birth. A sweet memory, translated into his simple little quilt. And with his laid-back happy personality, Reid will always be my sunny day boy.



I stitched lots of little important things in - cars, trucks, pets, animals, bugs, paper-folded boats. Reid enjoys searching through it and discovering these little treasures. At one time, it seemed rather difficult to find nice fabrics for boys - but that's sure changed over the past few years. I still find most fabrics are geared towards the feminine, but I also find fabrics which suit Reid well all of the time, too.

(I also have many - 100 or so - a bagful - of extra yellow and grey squares cut that are left over. They are 2.5" in size. If you sew and would like them, please let me know and I will send them out to you.) Thank you! The extra squares have now been spoken for.

22 comments:

marian said...

Oooh, I could totally use the squares (cutting is my least favourite part of quilting!), but I'm in Europe, so not sure you want to post out here... Marian

Himiko said...

Woow, I could certainly make those squares into some delicious handmade project but for me too, I live in Europe and I'm not sure if you would send them that far out.

But they are so beautiful and the quilt for Reid is a wonder in the making!

sforme said...

I love scrappy quilts and can always use 2.5 squares. I live across the river in Troutdale.

stephanie said...

I love reading your blog and the glimpses you give us, into your beautiful family life.

I am in the US, Pennsylvania. I make charity quilts and would love to make a baby quilt with your squares and then donate it to the charity of your choice.

Thank you for your giving and sharing spirit.

Tracey said...

Hi Sharilyn! I'm sure you probably don't remember me but we emailed a few times when we were both pregnant at the same time and in the depths of morning sickness. If you have any squares left over, I would love to make something for my daughter who just turned 2 yesterday :) goes so fast! I love your posts and hope you are all well!
Tracey

Mary said...

So, so lovely! I have had your daughter's quilt bookmarked forever and now your son's is just as sweet. What a wonderful keepsake for them both! Hope spring is once again headed your way!

Jean said...

Yes, please!!!

I would love to make my son a little gray and yellow quilt like this. It's beautiful!!! My son's a little over a year now and I've been wanting to make him a quilt, well... before he was born! But I had a hard time finding "boy" fabrics and a pattern that I like. I love how fresh and modern this quilt is! Thank you for sharing.

Leigh Laurel Studios said...

Hi Sharilyn,
I'm too late to say yes to your generous offer, but I would like to share that I made your goodie bags for my daughter's birthday last October and have a link to your post in my blog post today. :) Hope I did them justice!!

http://leighlaurel.typepad.com/my-blog/2013/04/monogrammed-drawstring-bags.html

Rhonda Hill said...

Oh my Gravy! What a lovely quilt you made!
I just got an order to make a gray and yellow quilt. Oh it is difficult to find fabric suitable for a boy! I had a terrible time searching! I think it took about a month and a half to gather the fabric together.
I just came across an article, about you, in "do it yourself" today while I was de-cluttering my magazine pile. I stopped what I was doing and decided to visit your blog. It's been awhile since I have visited blog land.
I was just elated to see you had finished a quilt top in the same colors I am doing now!
Blessing to you and your family!
Rhonda

amy said...

I would be interested too! I need to start on my little Mateo's quilt soon! he's almost 9 months! he has a grey and white striped sheet in his crib and these colors would be perfect!!

sacha said...

OOOO that would be lovely!!

Nancy said...

Hello!

I was actually thinking about taking a dive into quilting. I have never done it before but I was hoping to try my hand at it. LIttle quilt squares would certainly be a good start!

Eliza Jane said...

This is such a beautiful quilt! It's inspired me.

zafar said...

New Aston Martin Rapid, 2013 Hyandai Veloster Turbo Mazda Takeri Concept and Top Companies of Most popular Cars and Vehicles. Total Concept Cars in the World, Latest Strange Vehicles in the World, All Concept Cars and Strange Vehicles Hot pictures and info
worldlatestvehicles.com

Daniela said...

Love the combination of yellow and grey and the beautiful patterns you chose! You made me feel like quilting again!

Holly said...

What a special quilt! I love how it echoes his big sister's quilt, but has a personality of its own, just like Reid!

Erin said...

I have always loved the quilt you made for Addie. Happy to see the design again. :)

Cassandra said...

Ah!! Lovely! Wish I had been more on the ball! I am going to be in Vancouver next week and I would have saved you the shipping!! It looks so amazing!!

amyjanesews.com said...

It looks great! That is so sweet that they will each have a quilt you made. I am brainstorming my first ever quilt...so far it's just a wonderful excuse to sit perusing online fabric shops!

necmettin karadağlı said...

İç giyim ve iç çamaşırı sektöründe faaliyet gösteren firmamızda bütün Seks Shop ürünlerini bulabilir ve kapıda ödeme seçeneği ile teslim alırken ödemesini yapabilirsiniz.
Gizlilik temel prensibimizdir kargolarımız kapalı kutularda kozmetik ürün olarak taşınır paketlerin üzerinde Erotik Shop ve Sex Shop ibareleri ile iç giyim reklamları bulunmaz
Firmamız 7/24 hizmet vermektedir ve bütün iller ile kıbrıs’ a ürün gönderimi yapılmaktadır.

Marni @ Haberdashery Fun said...

Hi - Just found you through craftgawker and someone who mentioned your little goddie bags. Love your blog!

I live in Tampa, FL - but am Canadian from Edmonton.. :)

Becky Home-ecky said...

I think I've looked at this quilt image 5 times in the last week. I really love the simplicity of its design. I've been looking for a simple and grown-up quilt for my nine year old, and this is also the closest I've come to the gray and blue colorway I have in my head. Thank you! Beautiful work!